- Deep Squat
- Start by making sure you can get into a deep squat, bringing your butt close to your heels while keeping a straight back.
- Work on that until you are ready to move on to the next step.
- Roll Back
- Grab your ankles in the squat position and roll back, letting your butt come off the ground a bit.
- Roll Back Up Into the Squat
- Holding on to your ankles, roll your body back up into a deep squat position.
- Work on this progression until you feel comfortable enough to move on.
- Extend One Leg
- Roll your body up into a squat position, but this time, keep one leg straight, and pop up very slightly with your bent leg.
- Pop Up to Standing
- Work on popping up a little higher each time you roll up, until you can pop all the way up into a standing position.
- Reverse Direction
- Next, you’ll go in the opposite direction: Stand up and squat back, keeping one leg straight, then roll back into a supine position.
- Do a Full Pistol Squat
- Work on the previous progression until you can squat down with control, and stand back up with control.
- Chair Pistol Squats
- Box Pistol Squats
- Lower Box Pistol Squats
- Pistol Squats with a Counterweight (arms straight out in front of you, optional but helpful for many)
- Pistol Squats